Beginners2Runners - Providing A Covid Secure Environment for Club Activity
As a business and club, we have been through an unprecedented struggle due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. We have closed all our branches and ceased all activity for months.
As can be imagined there is a strong desire to resume activities, however, as an ethical business we would NEVER put finances above the safety of our staff and members. Nor rush the relaunch and risk making mistakes. Our return will be safe and of the lowest risk possible to all, following new routines and a considered approach for a return to club activity.
Following the recent update from UKA and England athletics, along with the guidance from the government we are now in a position to resume club activity, providing we create a “Covid secure environment”.
Government advice expressly confirms that: - “Businesses and venues following COVID-19 Secure guidelines can host larger groups. This is also the case for events in public outdoor spaces that are organised by businesses, charitable or political organisations, and public bodies, provided they take reasonable steps to mitigate the risk of transmission, in line with COVID-19 Secure guidance and including completion of a risk assessment”.
As can be seen from this we, as a grassroots sports club, are providing a Covid secure environment and we are therefore exempt from the group size restrictions that bind informal/unplanned activities. This is supported by advice from a national body, England Athletics who state:-
“Athletes and runners training in a public space, other than a track and field facility, can take place in unlimited numbers as long as the activity is taking place within the COVID secure environment setting”.
Whilst we are not an affiliated club to England Athletics, they are a public body whom we look to for guidance and have been encouraged to do so from the government. They have determined that providing the above conditions are met, our environment is Covid secure. It specifically uses the term “Environment” not venue. It even makes this distinction in the link above and the guidance is under the heading “Guidance for Road Running Coaches”.
Therefore, as a business and club, we are confident that we can meet the above conditions as described by the Government and a national body fully and therefore can re-open our Clubs in a covid secure environment.
Procedures we have in place include:
- A dedicated Covid Officer
- A 20-page Covid Risk Assessment in place
- All activities initially will take place outside where the risk is lower
- Managers and Team leaders Covid-19 Awareness Training with CIMSPA/Sport England
- Staff trained in group management with covid in mind including giving way to pedestrians and spacing runners a minimum of 1m+ apart
- Staff will carry Gloves and masks in case of an accident and have first aid awareness training
- All runners registered for Track and Trace
- All runners MUST confirm they have no symptoms
- All runners required to carry antibac gel
- Pre-planned, risk assessed routes avoiding busy places as much as possible
- Members will stick to ‘running bubbles’ which will be made as small as possible to ensure minimal contact with other group members
It is our mission to deliver a high-quality running club that is safe for all and allows our members to run with friends confidently and in a manner that is of the lowest risk possible.